Monday, November 2, 2009

Buttermilk Scones & Pancakes

The Husband made some Buttermilk scones this weekend.

The scones were some of the best I had so far.. Very crumply, melt-in-your-mouth buttery and very fragrant. They tasted good on their own.. and even better with butter/ cream and jam.

Compare them with how the scones looked like with my old recipe.


Buttermilk scones - very yummy

Buttermilk is something we never had in our fridge before. I've never used it in my cooking or baking.. so I was pretty surprised at how it really made a difference to the scones..

So, since we had some leftover buttermilk in the fridge, I decided to make some Buttermilk pancakes today..

It is a simple recipe - 3/4 cup self-raising flour + 165ml buttermilk +1/2 lightly beaten egg + 1/2 tablespoon sugar + orange zest or blueberries (optional)

Just mix everything together and cook them in the pan with some butter. Yummy!

And if you don't have buttermilk, you can also use 1/4 cup milk plus 3/4 cup yogurt OR 1 cup milk plus 1 tablesoon lemon juice.


Buttermilk pancakes - quite fluffy and nice

1 comment:

Petunia Lee said...

Oh yes! Recipe! Yes!