Saturday, November 14, 2009

First birthday cake

Today was the first time I made a birthday cake.

Not for myself, of course. For a friend's birthday.. or rather, 2 friends' birthday. The birthday girl had asked for a chocolate cake with strawberries. So, I made a chocolate cake, added sweetened strawberries in the centre, and covered the cake with a french cream recipe.

It's the first time I made a birthday cake - with icing and candles and all.. And of course, today's baking adventure went with some hiccups here and there.

Firstly, I didn't have a suitable cake board. I only have one at home.. and it was just right for a 7 inch round cake. But the cake I made was a 9 inch cake.. so my cake board didn't come in helpful. In the end I made a board myself. With some cardboard and aluminium foil.

Secondly, I started out quite late.. and didn't have time on my side. I cut the cake whilst it was still a little warm.. decorated it with cream whilst it was still a teeny weeny bit warm as well. Which made the cutting and decorating job a little tricky.

Thirdly, I didn't whisk enough cream. I followed the quantites stated in the recipe.. which would have been sufficient for an 8 inch cake... but my cake was 9 inch! So I kind of ran out of cream.

And lastly, I forgot the candles... so I called another friend to go get some for me...

But nonetheless, it was a very interesting baking experience.. and I had very appreciative friends so it all turned out quite well in the end.


Chocolate cake with French Cream and Strawberries

1 comment:

Dylan said...

I'm gonna bake the first birthday cake today!