Sunday, November 1, 2009

Patisserie Chocolaterie

A couple of friends raved about Canele and for a few weeks, I have been meaning to go there for desserts.

For some reason or another, I didn't manage to do so until last Sunday, when a friend from Hong Kong was in town and I wanted to meet her for tea somewhere near her hotel.

So Canele came to mind very quickly.

We ordered a cake and a pot of tea each. I ordered the Le Royale and she order the Barcelona.

Maybe my expectations were too high.. I thought the cakes were pretty good... but halfway through each slice (and it was very small slice), I got a bit tired of it. Both cakes felt a bit too sweet and heavy halfway through.. and I didn't quite enjoy the second half of the cakes as much..



And the teas we ordered Bergamot Blue and Rosy Pink were just so-so. The water wasn't hot enough.. the tea wasn't strong at all.

On the whole, I thought Canele wasn't what I had imagined it to be - the ultimate place for cake and tea. I went away feeling rather disappointed.

Perhaps it was the pots the teas came in.. or maybe it was the service - they took our cakes which we ordered before entering the restaurant and didn't take our orders for tea until quite some time later. Or maybe it was the booming music from Ben and Jerry's next door.

But I thought the savoury crepes the next table ordered looked fabulous. So maybe I'd visit their other store the next time around.. and try their crepes then.

Canelé Pâtisserie Chocolaterie
252 North Bridge Road,
#B1-81/82 Raffles City Shopping Centre,
Singapore 179103
Telephone : (65) 6334-7377

No comments: