Friday, February 12, 2010

The Potter and the Clay

Clay is unyielding and shapeless.. and on the potter's wheel, doesn't turn into anything on its own but spin round and round endlessly.

In my inexperienced hands, the clay takes shape, but very slowly and very awkwardly.

Making sure everything is perfectly in the center is of vital importance in pottery making. But centering is a challenge for a novice like me and takes a while. Then as the clay is pulled outwards and upwards, it is all too easy for me to forget about the centering and end up with a lopsided pot. Or end up with a cup when I really wanted to make a vase.

Not so in the hands of a master potter.

My teacher's hands are steady and in his hands, clay and water work together in harmony. In his hands, the clay molds quickly and easily into a balanced and very finished looking piece of work. He thinks of the shape he wants and clay turns out exactly as he wanted it.

The entire process looks all too simple and effortless.

The Bible describes God as The Potter and us as The Clay.

Since I was a teenager, I have read words from the Bible and have sang songs about that.

God is the Potter and we are the clay, the work of God's hands. And so we are to let the Potter mold us and shape us, and put us into the fire, so that one day, we will become wonderful works of art.

Now, I think I truly understand what it means.. and am so glad that God is our Master Potter.

The Master Potter knows what He is doing and I can trust Him to make me into a work of art.

My vase - an older piece of work. I have done a few new ones.. 
 but I'm accumulating them to do the glazing together.. so it'd take a while..

No comments: