Sunday, August 29, 2010

Simple homemade granola


One of my favourite frozen yogurt is Yami Yogurt. I like the peach flavour at Yami Yogurt so much.. I don't think I've ever ordered another flavour before. And I like the granola topping so much that I've never really ordered another topping before.

I've never figured out the brand of the granola they use.. but I decided to make some of my own so that I can have healthier breakfast on weekdays.. I got the general idea of the recipe from Evan's blog.. but I just simply added what I liked and had at home to the granola too.

My version of homemade granola consisted of:
- 3 cups of old fashion rolled oats
- A small handful of raisins and dried cranberries
- A small handful of macadamia nuts, sliced almonds and some sunflower seeds
- A tablespoon of dessicated coconut

I mixed everything together with a little bit of salt and then addded in a mixture of canola oil and honey (2 tablespoon oil with half a cup of honey)

Then everything went into the oven at 160 deg C for 40 mins. Be sure to line your baking tray with silpat for this. I used a non-stick pan but the granola still stuck on to the tray after it cooled.

The granola should be stored in an airtight container when it is completely cooled.

The results? A weeks' full of granola to go with fruity yogurt. I'd be trying a different variation sometime soon again.

4 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Great idea. This must taste so fresh!

I love yami yoghurt peach and honeydew flavours. Yesterday I tried to freeze a big tub of fruity yoghurt just to see if the result will be like frozen yoghurt. I was so wrong. It all clumped together into a dense frozen block, we can't even eat it. Now it is thawing in the fridge. I think we may have to throw it all away.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Ting - it does.. I can't help snacking on it... but I was a little less generous with the honey and oil.. I think more of those would make it even yummier.. but oh well.. at least it is healthy! The husband hates oats.. but I'm thinking.. maybe oats bread would be nice...?

Guilin said...

Hi OKC, I was recommended by Janet Lee to your blog and I found the "simple homemade granola" very interesting. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Guilin, oh.. sweet Janet! I'm glad you like the recipe. Do give it a try and let me know how it works!