Saturday, December 18, 2010

Flowers in the house


I like having some cut flowers at home because I think that they liven up our apartment.

It's always nice to have an element of the outdoors in your home - a tree, a sky well, a green plant or some freshly cut flowers. Cut flowers really liven up the house. I like them in my living room and dining table. I'd even put some in the bathroom if we had some space there!

Sometimes, I'd make do with flowers from my balcony. Sometimes, I would buy some home from the market. In a tropical climate like Singapore, the variety of freshly cut flowers we can get without paying a fortune is unfortunately, rather limited.

Gerberas and orchids are usually the best because they last quite a while. Especially orchids. And when the stalk gets a little droopy, I'd pluck off the individual flowers and put them in a small glass... and they will last another few more days this way. Just an idea in case you like orchids too..

4 comments:

fer said...

Beautiful photo! I want to have some orchids in my house too, but I havent dared yet.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Thanks Fer! Go for it.. orchids are okay indoors so long as they get some light and you don't water them much.. Mine has survived that way, at least...

Malar said...

Your Orchids look lovely! Good idea to decorate using cut flowers!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Thanks Malar! ;)