Sunday, February 20, 2011

15 days of Chinese New Year

The 15 days of Chinese New Year is over.. 15 days not short.. yet I always think that Chinese New Year fly by all too quickly.

Did you know that each day of the 15 days of Chinese New Year has a different significance?

The eve is the day when most families have reunion dinner. For some families, especially where members of the family do not live in the same city, this is a special time of get together.

The first day of Chinese New Year is a time when families visit the oldest and most senior members of their extended family. For my family, it means visiting my grandmother and a big get together with all my relatives at my grandma's house.

The second day of the Chinese New Year is a day for married daughters to visit their own parents.

The third day is also called "赤口", or "red mouth" and is supposedly not a good day to visit your friends or family as you might end up arguing with each other.

For many Chinese business man, the fifth day is the birthday of the God of Wealth.

I don't know anything particularly special about the sixth day - except it is the Birthday of the Horse. Why this is so I have no idea.

The Seventh day is also "人日", or "Man's day" - this is the birthday of everyone. In Singapore and Malaysia, people like to eat "Yu Sheng" on the 7th day. My family likes to do that on Chinese New Year eve, or the first day of Chinese New Year, as part of our family gathering.

The Eighth day is the day that Taoist Chinese pray to the Jade Emperor. Some know him as "天公“ - Sky God. The Eighth day is the eve of his birthday, making the Ninth Day special because his birthday is celebrated that day. In Beijing, the Eighth day of Chinese new year is a day to eat the Eight-Treasure Porridge.

The Eleventh to Thirteen Day are for feasting and more merry making with family and friends.

On the Fourteen day, people start preparing for the Lantern Festival, which is held on the Fifteen Day of the Chinese New Year.

My favourite days of the Chinese New Year are:
1) The eve of Chinese New Year - because that is when we have our reunion dinner together
2) The first day of Chinese New Year - because that is when I get to meet almost all my relatives in a day
3) The seventh day - because I get to eat my favourite Yusheng

Here is the homemade version one that I made this year. I make the Yusheng in a similar manner each year - with lots of vegetables and loads of colour!


1 comment:

Malar said...

Now i know the meaning of CNY celebration for 2 weeks! Your Yu Sheng looks so colourful! I bet it must taste delicious!