Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Words that hit home

When asked what surprised him most about humanity, someone said "Man".

"Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

The Dalai Lama said these words and I believe in a different God then him but these words hit home.

The trouble is - how to live every day as if it were my last?

If today is my last day,

I'd have a chat with all my childhood friends - to hear how they are, talk about our childhood dreams and laugh over our mistakes growing up.

I'd call up all my beloved colleagues, ask for their forgiveness for my impatience at work, encourage them to spend more time with their loved ones and share whatever I can with them.

I'd meet my dearest friends for tea, muse over our past experiences and tell them what I appreciate most about them.

I'd spend the most time with all my beloved ones, making sure they know how much I love them, and asking for their forgiveness on all the times I act like I don't.



8 comments:

Blur Ting said...

The Dalai Lama speaks very simply but wisely. I read his book every night before I go to bed because he has such a calming effect on me.

Malar said...

Such a lovely words! I think I have forgot to live too while rushing in life....sigh...

Petunia Lee said...

Book? Which book? I wanna read too!!

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - he has written many books. I'm currently reading The Path to Freedom.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Malar, me too! I think most of us do that! I'm trying not too but it is so hard.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Ting - I have been troubled lately and a few things at home also troubled me.. For me, I find that reading helps.. though for me, reading the bible calms me down.

Blur Ting said...

OKC - I hope you're feeling better. I'm glad you find comfort in the Bible. Anything that calms you down is good. Go on a holiday. All by yourself if necessary. Or with a girl friend. I always feel so happy after meeting up with my girlfriends.

Blur Ting said...

Or go out with us! We'll cheer you up.